Calmura Natural Walls, using knowledge from long-lasting historic buildings, has developed a patented wall system to create building envelopes within the vernacular of monolithic natural buildings.
Calmura’s novel process disrupts the theory of distinct layers of materials in buildings, like drywall, insulation, building wraps, and exsulation, and replaces it all with a biocomposite that provides a solid, monolithic, insulating wall infill material.
This insulating biocomposite wall “body” encapsulates the “bones” of the standard, structural framing and provides highly resilient structural support against wind and seismic loading on the frame. A reinforcing “skin” of finish is applied to the external surfaces of the biocomposite “body” to provide an air-tight and water-protective cover.
Calmura’s simple format is expandable depending on how much thermal isolation is needed against the local climate.
2-PART INFILL SYSTEM: PANELS & FOAM
The 2-parts of the monolithic biocomposite assembly are solid biocomposite panels, and foaming biocomposite infill. Calmura’s biocomposite is created by chipping waste wood resources and blending the chips with a hydrated lime + clay binder to be cast into products. The binder absorbs carbon dioxide as it cures to make a solid, rock-encased wood-chip matrix.
The initial 1200mm x 600mm (2′ x 4′) biocomposite panels will be factory manufactured and certified for performance, available in 2 different thicknesses with different densities:
- Interior Finishing Boards are 45mm (1 3/4”) thick, higher density, and make installing outlets, switches and other fixtures easier to accomplish.
- Exterior Insulating Panels are 90mm (3 ½”) thick, lower density for a better insulating value, and reduce thermal bridging through the wood framing members.
The foaming biocomposite infill is factory supplied and pumped into the voids of the wall between the interior and exterior panels to chemically fuse to the panels and provide monolithic stability to the structure.
Calmura’s innovative, monolithic wall “body” assembly is then finished with a reinforcing “skin” on both of the exposed interior and exterior surfaces.
Once installed, the Interior Finishing Boards are finished with a vapour-open render, like lime plaster, clay parge, or fine Venetian plaster, which gives the wall the same look as a standard drywall assembly.
Whereas, the Exterior Insulation Panels can be finished with a vapour-open stucco, or can be covered with siding or other exterior cladding material, after furring out to leave a vapour cavity for wall breathe-ability.
Calmura’s wall system is made to be durable and lasting, which are important aspects to any building being built sustainably.
The Interior Finishing Boards and Exterior Insulation Panels are attached to the wood framing using a combination of:
- mortar adhesive, which is placed along the panel edges and up the framing members, as well as,
- fasteners, such as coated deck screws or wood nails, to hold the panels in place while the adhesive sets.
- One side of the panels (preferably the Exterior) will be attached first, with roof, windows and doors also being installed to provide a full building enclosure.
- This will allow the plumbers and electricians to work in a more comfortable environment and complete plumbing and electric rough-in throughout the walls of the building.
- To finish the biocomposite wall, the other side of the panels will start to be added from the bottom of the wall, with infill being placed or pumped in as each row is complete, until the wall is completely paneled and filled.
- The final finish, render or cladding is applied to both the interior and exterior surfaces of the wall to provide and airtight, weather resistant and durable wall system.
DETAILS COMING SOON.